The City of Moraga originally was an extension of Orinda to the south including The Crossroads. It was owned by the Moraga Company in the early 1900’s. In 1927, The Moraga Company offered 100 acres free to Saint Mary’s College and College of Holy Names. They felt a college would bring culture and people to a very barren area and help the Moraga Company sell homes. Only St. Mary’s College accepted the offer and bought an additional 300 acres. It is now one of the top private universities in California. In fact, most of the homes, roads and businesses in present day Moraga were built since 1960. Moraga Country Club is the one of the jewels within this city. It is a highly sought after bedroom community, with great pride in their quality of life for the families who live there.